Sökning: "Orientalist ideas"
Hittade 5 uppsatser innehållade orden Orientalist ideas.
1. Evil Monsters and Machines : A Techno-Orientalist Perspective on Threat Perception in the United KingdomMaster-uppsats, Försvarshögskolan
Sammanfattning : This thesis looks at the construction of China as a security threat in the United Kingdom, through the theoretical lens of techno-Orientalism. The main argument is that techno-Orientalist ideas influence the Western perception of China as a security threat, which leads to the creation of certain fears regarding China which affects the identity creation of both the United Kingdom and China. LÄS MER
2. Conditional Freedom: Identifying How Orientalism Informs Structural and Cultural Violence Towards Muslim Women in TurkeyKandidat-uppsats, Malmö universitet/Fakulteten för kultur och samhälle (KS)
Sammanfattning : This thesis aims to point out the ways in which Muslim women who wear the headscarf are subject to cultural and structural violence, and to discuss how that violence is informed by Orientalism. The study answers the following question: How does Orientalism inform structural and cultural violence against the wearing of the headscarf by Muslim women in Turkey? The theoretical framework applied to this study explores Johan Galtung’s different forms of violence: structural and cultural violence. LÄS MER
3. The re-entry of the Islamic headscarf in Turkish Parliament, A Critical Discourse Analysis of the ReactionsKandidat-uppsats, Malmö högskola/Fakulteten för kultur och samhälle (KS)
Sammanfattning : This thesis investigated the reactions to the ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) recent lift of the ban against the Islamic headscarf in the Turkish Parliament. The reactions by the oppositional party, the Republican People’s Party (CHP), were analysed through Norman Fairclough’s understanding of critical discourse analysis, which aims to illuminate unequal power relations created or recreated by the production of discursive practises, which is believed to ultimately affect social practises. LÄS MER
4. ”The Aid Workers' Difficult Decisions in Ebolaland” : An analysis of the Swedish news reporting on the Ebola outbreak in West AfricaKandidat-uppsats, Uppsala universitet/Statsvetenskapliga institutionen
Sammanfattning : This article is to scrutinize Western media on the Ebola outbreak in West Africa by looking more closely at the largest Swedish newspapers. It is to investigate the otherization of Africa and the African, more specifically, whether there are Orientalist features within the media reporting that can construct an Africanness, the Africanization of Africa, as well as the reinforcement of West's own identity, the de-Africanization of the West, portarying it as non-African, and more importantly whether the Ebola disease has undergone this de-Africanization process. LÄS MER
- Kandidat-uppsats, Högskolan Väst/Institutionen för ekonomi och it; Högskolan Väst/Institutionen för ekonomi och it
Sammanfattning : This thesis aims to explore and describe the images of China in the Western tourist material. There is much literature talking about images of China; however, among the existing scholarship so far few have investigated from the angle as we do. LÄS MER