Sökning: "The Victorian era"
Visar resultat 1 - 5 av 17 uppsatser innehållade orden The Victorian era.
1. Den primitiva kelten Den rasistiska bilden av den irländska kelten inom den viktorianska antropologin under 1850- och 1860-talenMaster-uppsats, Göteborgs universitet/Institutionen för litteratur, idéhistoria och religion
Sammanfattning : This thesis explores the racist assumptions pertaining to the Irish Celts during the Victorianera as it is expressed within the anthropological thought of the age. These assumptions areexplored in The Races of Men (1850) by Robert Knox and in five essays published in thejournals of the Anthropological Society of London during the 1860s. LÄS MER
2. Margaret and the ideal woman: An analysis of the heroine of Elizabeth Gaskell’s North and South in relation to the female ideal of the Victorian eraKandidat-uppsats, Lunds universitet/Engelska
Sammanfattning : .... LÄS MER
3. Bloody Penny Picture Pose : A comparative study on the representation of sexuality and violence within the aesthetics of Victorian Gothic horrorMaster-uppsats, Stockholms universitet/Modevetenskap
Sammanfattning : There is an ongoing fascination with the Victorian era as well as the genre of horror, and the characters originating from the first 18th century Gothic tales still appear in our Western popular culture today. The Victorian Gothic novels contain elements of romanticism and violence which often results in strong undertones of heated sexuality. LÄS MER
4. “I’ve a right to think” : A Reading of Alice in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland as a Reflection of Early Feminism in the Victorian EraKandidat-uppsats,
Sammanfattning : In this essay I claim that Alice in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is a character who reflects the early feminist movement in the 19th century. By reading Alice in terms of a resemblance to the early feminist activists and the first modern feminist text A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft, I explore the idea of Alice’s characteristics being comparable to those values and thoughts which the feminist movement expressed. LÄS MER
- Kandidat-uppsats, Lunds universitet/Engelska
Sammanfattning : The purpose of this essay is to investigate whether the characters of Charlotte Brontë’s and Elizabeth Gaskell’s novels Jane Eyre, North and South and Ruth romanticise tuberculosis, how the disease was romanticised, and what qualities the affected characters had to possess to die from the disease. Major and minor characters who contract the disease are scrutinised, as well as the characters surrounding them, to get a satisfactory picture of the romanticising. LÄS MER