Sökning: "literal meaning"
Visar resultat 1 - 5 av 32 uppsatser innehållade orden literal meaning.
- Kandidat-uppsats, Lunds universitet/Engelska
Sammanfattning : The writer, farmer, Christian pacifist, and “eco-poet” Wendell Berry has written and published novels, essays, and poetry since early 1960s. Examples of recurring themes in Berry’s literary work are the close relationship between farmer and the earth, the importance of belonging to a place/community, and having trust in the Creation. LÄS MER
- Kandidat-uppsats, Lunds universitet/Allmän språkvetenskap
Sammanfattning : A study on the online process of producing idioms in writing and how second language learners manage the production and comprehension of idioms may provide a useful and comprehensive investigation of the production, comprehension and acquisition of language. The study in this paper investigated how Swedish (L1) second language learners of English (L2) produce and comprehend written idioms in the L2. LÄS MER
3. Comic Books - Images, Words and Language Acquisition : Using comic books as an alternative material for teaching the English language.Uppsats för yrkesexamina på avancerad nivå, Högskolan i Halmstad/Akademin för lärande, humaniora och samhälle
Sammanfattning : The purpose of the research described in this essay is, by analysing the content of comic books, to (1) evaluate comic books as material for teaching, (2) if possible, to create an exercise that could be used in the classroom in which comic books are used for teaching ESL and (3) to suggest innovative material and related tasks that could be used to introduce students to issues related to meaning, with the focus on “literal or speaker meaning”, “multimodality” and “deixis”, and drawing upon principles and concepts described within the disciplines of semiotics, semantics and pragmatics. Accordingly, the thesis questions of this essay are described as follows: If possible, how could comic books be used in the classroom as an alternative material for teaching the ESL? If possible, how could comic books be used to introduce students to issues related to meaning through linguistic approaches, with the aid of semantics, semiotics and pragmatics? Comic books, in theory and in practice, could be used in the classroom as an alternative material for teaching the English language and introduce students to issues related to meaning through linguistic approaches, with the aid including semantics, semiotics and pragmatics. LÄS MER
4. La interpretación del significado de locuciones verbales en español : Estrategias de aprendientes y hablantes nativos para describir el sentido figurado al Pensar en Voz AltaMaster-uppsats, Stockholms universitet/Romanska och klassiska institutionen
Sammanfattning : Idioms are frequently used in any language and thereby it is important to investigate how these linguistic resources are understood, acquired and mastered. More studies need to be conducted, specially in the learning of a second language. LÄS MER
5. When translators go barking up the wrong tree : A study of metaphor translation strategies in a dog breed bookMagister-uppsats, Linnéuniversitetet/Institutionen för språk (SPR)
Sammanfattning : The translation of metaphors can cause problems for a translator since what is typical for a metaphor is that the intended meaning does not match its literal meaning, which can lead to misunderstandings. Apart from this, language differences and cultural differences can also cause problems. LÄS MER