Sökning: "the British Empire"
Visar resultat 1 - 5 av 20 uppsatser innehållade orden the British Empire.
1. The Giving Up of Greer: The Hypocrisy at the Heart of the Janus-Faced Empire : Writing Back Against the British Imperial DiscourseKandidat-uppsats, Högskolan i Gävle/Avdelningen för humaniora
Sammanfattning : The aim of this essay is to examine the tension at the heart of the British colonial discourse as it affects the relationship of Travis and Joyce in the chapter "Somewhere in England", in Caryl Phillips's 1993 novel, Crossing the River. The thesis of the essay is that the colonial discourse of the British insists on a racial signifier in the imagined community of the British, and thus resists the idea that a person can be both black and British. LÄS MER
2. “Would you like a side of democracy with that imperialism?” : Mill’s arguments applied to the colonies of the Gold Coast and Senegal.Kandidat-uppsats, Linnéuniversitetet/Institutionen för statsvetenskap (ST)
Sammanfattning : In this disciplined configurative case-study the effects of imperialistic rule on the democratization of the colonies Ghana (Gold Coast) and Senegal during their colonization. The positive effects of imperialism will be represented by the liberal thinker J.S. Mill. LÄS MER
3. ‘In the cruel shadow of Empire’: A case study on the illegalisation, migrantisation and sub-citizenship of the WindrushKandidat-uppsats, Malmö universitet/Fakulteten för kultur och samhälle (KS)
Sammanfattning : This thesis examines the so-called ‘Windrush scandal’: a systematic case of mistaken identity which erroneously misconstrued Britons of Carribean descent as being in the UK illegally. The Windrush were denied rights they were legally entitled to, were detained, threatened with deportation, and in some cases, deported. LÄS MER
4. Meyer Fortes hos stammen Tallensi: en undersökning om en förändrad samhällsstruktur som följd av den västerländska kolonialismenKandidat-uppsats, Lunds universitet/Avdelningen för idé- och lärdomshistoria
Sammanfattning : The aim of this paper is to analyse the fieldwork that the British anthropologist Meyer Fortes conducted in the mid-thirties among the Tallensi-tribe in northern Ghana, then called British Gold Coast, a country that had been a European colony for several hundred years. It was not however until the early years of the 20th century that the British Empire, which had had control over the Gold Coast for almost half a century now, turned his attention to the tribal societies in the northern territories of the country. LÄS MER
5. The End of the World? Representations of Scandinavia in Nineteenth-Century Scottish Travel LiteratureMaster-uppsats, Lunds universitet/Masterprogram: Litteratur - Kultur – Media
Sammanfattning : This dissertation analyses the representations of Norway, Denmark and Sweden in Scottish travel literature towards the end of the Georgian Era. By comparing two travel accounts, I aim to identify both the authors’ approach to the Nordic countries as well as their reflections on their own national identity. LÄS MER