Sökning: "The Handmaid’s Tale"
Visar resultat 1 - 5 av 7 uppsatser innehållade orden The Handmaid’s Tale.
1. Moira, take me with you! : Utopian Hope and Queer Horizons in Three Versions of The Handmaid's TaleMaster-uppsats, Linköpings universitet/Tema Genus
Sammanfattning : Using postmodern, feminist and queer notions of utopia/dystopia and narrative theory, this thesis contains an analysis of The Handmaid’s Tale (novel 1985; film 1990; TV series S01 2017) based on theoretical and methodological understandings of utopia/dystopia and narrative as deeply connected with notions of temporality and relationality, and of violence and resistance as the modes of expression of utopia and dystopia in the source texts. The analysis is carried out in an explorative manner (Czarniawska 2004) and utilises the notion of “disidentification” (Butler 1993; Muñoz 1999) and the concepts of “diffraction” (Haraway 1992, 1997; Barad 2007, 2010), and “entanglement” (Barad 2007). LÄS MER
- Kandidat-uppsats, Umeå universitet/Institutionen för språkstudier
Sammanfattning : This essay aims to highlight and explain the gender inequality, the sexual assault and the rape in Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale from a feminist perspective, using the theory of the individualist, interactionist and institutional approach to gender found in Wharton’s The Sociology of Gender. Research questions: How does gender inequality shape the characters in the novel? What does it mean for them? How can the gender inequalities seen in Gilead society, as well as the sexual violence in the novel, be explained using sociological perspectives on gender? Gender inequality, which is what leads to the sexual violence, is produced on every level of society, and especially at the institutional level of society, that is, the culture of the society. LÄS MER
3. Genom våra ögon : En komparativ litteraturanalys av Margaret Atwoods The Handmaid’s Tale och Octavia E. Butlers Kindred, utifrån forskningsfältet kulturella minnesstudierKandidat-uppsats, Södertörns högskola/Litteraturvetenskap
Sammanfattning : This essay’s primarily focus is on the common discourse about the persisting effects of the past in the present in Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale(1985)and Octavia E. Butler’s Kindred (1979).These novels are the testimonies of the protagonists Offred and Dana who shares their experience of traumatic violence and oppression. LÄS MER
4. Enforcing Patriarchal Values : A socialist feminist analysis of the characters of Offred and Serena Joy in Margaret Atwood's novel The Handmaid's TaleKandidat-uppsats, Karlstads universitet/Fakulteten för humaniora och samhällsvetenskap (from 2013)
Sammanfattning : This essay shows how Margaret Atwood’s novel The Handmaid’s Tale (1985) functions as a critique of patriarchal society as it depicts a dystopic, dismantled society where women are divided into societal groups on biological grounds. Based on socialist feminist literary theory, an analysis is carried out of two of the female characters, Offred and Serena Joy, who are both oppressed by a patriarchal, totalitarian government; an oppression that is manifested in different ways. LÄS MER
5. ”Jag hoppas få vara er livmoder” : En multimodal analys av surrogatmödraskap i scener ur The Handmaid’s tale och VännerKandidat-uppsats, Umeå universitet/Institutionen för kultur- och medievetenskaper
Sammanfattning : Title: “I hope to be your uterus” - A multimodal analysis on surrogacy in scenes from The Handmaid’s tale and Friends Surrogacy is a widely discussed subject both internationally and in Sweden. The opinions on whether it should be legalized or not differ from country to country, which is reflected in how they implement their different laws on the subject. LÄS MER